Bankruptcy, Is it on your radar- man and woman computer

Bankruptcy, Is It on Your Radar?

Is Bankruptcy on Your Radar to Get Rid of Your Back Taxes? If you are drowning in debt and trying to make ends meet, you may think bankruptcy filing is the only way out. Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case. Filing for bankruptcy is one solution. However, it is a drastic step that should only be taken as a last resort.

This is especially true if you owe the IRS or state back taxes. Depending on what type of taxes you owe, you might be unable to wipe out your back taxes in bankruptcy proceedings.

It’s essential to weigh all your options and clearly understand your financial situation. So I’m sharing three steps to consider before declaring bankruptcy.

Depending on how much you owe, who your creditors are, and how the rest of your financial life looks, you may be able to dig yourself out of the hole and take back control of your life without having to declare bankruptcy.

Here are Three Alternatives to Consider Before You Contact an Attorney


Three options to bankruptcy- image f SFS Tax office - credit cards-debt

✓Contact A Tax Firm That Specializes in Resolution

Most bankruptcy attorneys aren’t familiar with the complex tax laws, so they won’t be able to assess your tax situation accurately.

A tax relief firm like ours can help you assess your back-tax situation and often help you settle your back-tax debt with the IRS. This may be an excellent way to reduce your debt burden if you owe a substantial amount of back taxes. This can also be an excellent first step to getting back on track with your finances.

 ✓Request a Lower Interest Rate on Other Debts

When you are paying 18% or more in interest, it can be hard to keep up with the charges, let alone make any headway on the outstanding balance. Credit card interest rates are among the highest, and those outrageous rates have trapped many consumers in a spiral of ever-increasing debt.

How different would your finances look if your interest rate was cut in half? Would you finally be able to get ahead of the interest charges and start paying down your balance? If so, it is time to call your credit card company.

It never hurts to ask, even if you do not think they will be receptive. And when the credit card company finds out that you are considering filing bankruptcy, they may be more willing to negotiate than you think.

For tax debt, the IRS can sometimes remove penalties and sometimes even the interest from your debt, so it’s essential to reach out to us to see your options.

  ✓Refinance Your Debt

Even if your credit card issuers and lenders are unwilling to reduce your interest rates, you could still save money and avoid bankruptcy. For example, refinancing your existing debt through a home equity line of credit, a personal loan, or other means could lower your interest rate substantially and slash your monthly payments.

If you do decide on this strategy, shop around. The more you can lower your interest rate, the more money you can save – and the faster you will be able to pay off your debts.

But it’s tough to refinance your debts if you have an IRS tax lien or a wage levy. SFS Tax Problem Solutions can get these released and help you get on track.

A bankruptcy filing can provide a fresh start for those in dire financial circumstances, helping them recover and rebuild their shattered monetary lives. However, not all types of taxes can be discharged, and specific time frames need to be adhered to for income taxes.

Even so, bankruptcy is not the only way out, and it is essential for those considering this solution to research the alternatives first. The bankruptcy alternatives listed above can also give you the fresh start you need without the stigma or long-lasting impacts of a bankruptcy filing.

IMPORTANT: We highly recommend readers reach out to Jeffrey Schneider EA, CTRS, ACT-E first. Our clients never have to talk to the IRS, and tax resolution through our firm can save you money and time in the long run. You might also qualify for other relief programs or get your penalties and interest forgiven. So reach out to our firm today for a consultation,